Baking pieces of bread sounds intimidating, isn’t it? Lots of people, including you for sure, know that it’s not an easy task.
Most of the time, we enjoy eating bread but making it is another story.
Viral Bread Recipe
This recipe has been making rounds on social media because it is very easy to make. It’s perfect for beginners as well as those people who find using an oven arduous.
You just need a slow cooker to make this.
All thanks to Danielle Luttrell, the woman behind the recipe of a homemade bread using a slowcooker. She generously posted the recipe online and helped lots of moms who want to bake bread.
Here are what you’ll need to achieve it:
- 1–3 tablespoons of sugar (add more if you prefer a sweeter bread)
- 3 teaspoons of active dry yeast (this is considered for the conservative side)
- 6 cups of whole wheat flour (or 3 cups whole wheat & 3 cups all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 2 cups of warm milk
- 2 tablespoons of melted UNSALTED butter
It’s important to remember that the measurements listed in each ingredient are ideal for a regular-sized slow cooker.
Here is the procedure:
- You’ll need a big mixing bowl or any container that is large enough. Then, stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1–3 tablespoons of sugar, and the 3 tablespoons of yeast. Of course, you can definitely decide the level of sweetness of your bread, you can add more sugar if you want it sweeter.
- Leave it for 5 minutes until you see froth forming on top.
- While you’re waiting for it, place 2 cups of milk and 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and let it warm.
- Then, add the milk and butter to the yeast mixture.
- In your standing mixer, slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Make sure to mix them all together. After that, knead the dough. (If you want to use a dough hook, feel free to do so. But make sure to finish it off by hand-kneading for about 5 minutes.)
- Make a ball out of the dough and line your slow cooker with parchment paper. Then, let the dough rise.
7. You’ll need to set the slow cooker temp to High while the timer should be set to 2 to 2.5 hours. Don’t forget to check the loaf every 7-10 minutes until the top has a sponge-like consistency. Keep in mind that it should still spring back and there should be no moisture on top. You should achieve nice golden-brown color.
8. If you are like us who want a crunchier top-crust, the key is you’ll need to stick the loaf under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Of course, you don’t like it to get burn so it’s important to keep an eye on it.
It’s nice that recipes like this can be easily found on social media. Undeniably, this makes our lives a lot easier. If you’re saving some bucks, this could also help you because it’s cheaper than buying from bakeries.
Above all, it’s always more satisfying to eat bread when it’s warm and fresh from the slow cooker.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.