They say that time and tide wait for no man, and that’s true. Of course, time and tide have another thing in common — they wear things down. If you’ve ever picked up a piece of sea glass on the beach, you know the effect that long years of getting tossed and turned in the water causes. It turns out, time does the exact same thing — in a variety of ways.
Most of us have a fascination with old things. It’s amazing to look at buildings, art, and other objects that have stood in the same place for centuries. You can only imagine how many people have seen them.
But sometimes, the effects of time are seen in little things. You’d never guess how much they leave their mark. It doesn’t even have to be something big. But once those little things add up, the effects left behind are amazing to see.
Sure, time and tide wait for no man, but that doesn’t mean they’re bad. Sometimes, it’s beautiful to see what happens over many years, even in things that don’t seem important! Here are 40 examples that show the effects of time – many in surprising ways.
1. This truck driver’s face shows years of sun exposure on one side
2. A difference in teddy bears
3. Damage to the car door after many doggie car rides
4. Tracking the sun through burn marks on the grass
5. The tag wore its whole life
[/slideshowWhen this poster’s pet dog passed away, they took the vaccination tag it had worn since getting shots as a puppy. This was how it looked after years of hanging on a collar.
6. This good boy has gotten lots of pets
7. Homemade X-ray from moving dumbbells
8. 1984 and censorship
9. Where Kitty has sharpened its claws for 14 years
10. The effect of the sun on this sign
11. What the floor once looked like
12. A leaf without pigment
13. The cat’s daily walking route
14. Where the feet go tippy-tap
15. The pen passed down through the family
16. Fence beats rock
17. That’s definitely his wallet
18. That’s a lot of haircuts!
19. The many colors of one wall
20. It’s time for some new knives
21. When you know it’s time to buy lotion
22. Some beloved toys
23. A carpet after 60 years
24. The progression of a belt
25. 40 years of staples
26. A record of an IKEA prank
27. A shop computer after years of entering orders
28. This store doorbell after many years
29. Tires that track your tread percentage
30. What almost 200 years of feet will do
31. Decades of paper cuts on a fax machine
32. St. Peter’s foot in the Vatican
33. Seven years of being a puppy path
34. The same shoe, new and three years old
35. A tetherball pole with the marks of many games