Life
Girl shows people what not to do when cooking tutorial ends up in kitchen fire
The dinner may not have panned out but at least I know what not to do in the kitchen now.
Gianella Argao
05.24.22

It was a pretty typical day for the 26-year-old Kelly Caron, a streamer who goes by the handle Kjanecaron. Except it was her birthday and she almost set her kitchen on fire.

She decided to go live streaming on Twitch while attempting to cook her birthday steak.

However, things didn’t go as planned.

As she was searing the meat, an alarming amount of smoke started coming out of the pan.

Youtube - Inside Edition
Source:
Youtube - Inside Edition

To save the glorious piece of steak, Caron immediately took the steak out of the pan with a tong clamp. She then proceeded to try to fan the smoke away.

For obvious reasons, that did not work and things got even worse.

The fire got bigger.

It triggered the smoke alarm of her building. In complete panic mode, the social media star placed the pan under the sink’s tap, which made the flame even bigger.

As we know, water, oil, and fire don’t go together all that well.

Youtube - Inside Edition
Source:
Youtube - Inside Edition

You can easily see the utter panic just by watching as she said, “I don’t know what to do, guys! I don’t know what to do!”

Caron then ran out of her apartment and started screaming for help, leaving the flaming pan behind. Apparently, she didn’t have any fire extinguishers with her.

“I just freaked out,” she said in an interview. “I was like, ‘I don’t know what to do.'”

Youtube - Inside Edition
Source:
Youtube - Inside Edition

What made the whole picture even worse (and even hilarious) is that she even holds a degree in mechanical engineering.

But you know, sometimes panic can get the best out of us, right?

“I’m sure that once upon a time I did learn that oil and oil fires and water don’t mix very well. I had to have learned that at some point,” Caron said. “But I definitely turned into panic mode when I saw the huge flames and all of that just went completely out of the window.”

Thankfully, it all turned out okay.

Despite the hazardous event, let’s all just be thankful that she didn’t turn the faucet on, or else the fire would’ve multiplied exponentially. Whew.

Youtube - Inside Edition
Source:
Youtube - Inside Edition

After some time, the fire died down and the streamer’s kitchen, and essentially her building, was finally marked as safe.

Thankfully, she came out of it safely with just some mild burns to nurse.

Dad saw it all.

Her father was reported to be watching her live stream at the time and ended up sending his daughter an anti-fire kit: a fire blanket, fireproof gloves, and a spray that stops oil fires fast.

We’d say it was a brilliant gift idea!

Youtube - Inside Edition
Source:
Youtube - Inside Edition

Caron also fondly shares that she now knows the best and easiest technique to do in case of a grease fire.

That’s to simply cover the pan with a lid to suffocate the fire because fire doesn’t survive without oxygen.

Now you know.

At least we all got some great fire tips we’ll never ever forget.

Youtube - Inside Edition
Source:
Youtube - Inside Edition

The steak may have gone to waste, but at least Caron was able to teach all of us what not to do in the kitchen.

The next time you whip something up in your kitchen, remember to put safety first!

See the whole event in the video below!

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

Article Sources:
To learn more read our Editorial Standards.
By Gianella Argao
hi@sbly.com
Gianella Argao is a contributor at SBLY Media.
Advertisement
Advertisement