It is often said that pit bulls are among the most protective dog races around, and this story by Stacie Rae English certainly is no exception to that. She posted tales of an impressive rescue by her brother’s dog Hurley on Facebook, where it quickly amassed more than 53,000 likes and 13,000 shares.
Stacie’s brother was just walking around his adorable dog Hurley in the neighborhood in the evening because he can unleash him and let him truly explore his surroundings and sensations.
Suddenly, the man heard loud screaming from a child. Before Stacie’s brother could react to the situation, Hurley had already made its way towards the screaming baby.
When the man finally caught up with his dog, he saw a dangerous copper head snake close by the child that was being attacked by Hurley. The pit bull killed the dangerous and venomous snake, possibly saving the little child from further injuries.
It’s unclear whether or not the child was bitten, as the little child ran away to his mother and they presumably went to the ER to get him checked out. Stacie’s brother hopes that they can still connect with the child and his family.
After the incident, the man called animal control to report the copper head snake – as it turns out, Hurley had found a whole nest of the venomous animals. While defending the child, Hurley was struck by the copper head’s poisonous teeth.
Luckily, thanks to quick help from the Denton Animal Emergency Hospital, Hurley’s blood clotting was monitored and the dog could already return home the next day. Although Hurley is still somewhat uncomfortable and has a swollen face and neck, he’s doing a lot better.
Here is the original Facebook post that Stacy posted:
“My brother was walking his pit bull lab mix, Hurley, in our neighborhood field around 10 pm. He walks him this late so he can let him off his leash so he can do what he loves to do, explore all the different smells. They heard a young kid scream and before my brother knew it, Hurley took off after the scream. With my brother close behind, he saw Hurley grab a copper head snake away from the little boy and fling it around, later found out he had killed it. The little boy ran to his mothers vehicle and drove off so fast that my brother was unable to find out any information on the little boy. (We are assuming because they left so fast that he was bitten and being rushed to the ER) My brother then went on to call animal control and the Highland Village Cops showed up to check out the scene. They asked to take a look at Hurley to see if he was bitten. To my brothers surprise, he was bleeding, had a swollen neck and foaming from his mouth. Sure enough, they found two puncture wounds in his upper lip. Shelby rushed Hurley to Denton Animal Emergency Hospital where he stayed the night so they could check his blood clotting ability multiple times through out the night. Shelby and Hurley both got home this morning. Thank God, Hurley is doing a lot better this morning, just seems a little uncomfortable with his swollen face and neck.
It was later discovered the little boy had come across a copper head nest and hopefully Hurley prevented him from getting bitten, or at least getting bitten multiple times. We are still trying to find out who the little boy is and make sure he is okay. Here’s our hero pit bull. I’d like for his story to get around for those who judge his breed.”
What a rescue!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.